Maybelline is one of the leading makeup and cosmetics companies in the world and has established itself as an inspirational brand for confident and accomplished women while being affordable at the same time.
Although Maybelline has a very high market presence offline, the challenge was to ensure growth online as well.
Cosmetics as a category has a comparatively low Price Per Transaction and a high purchase frequency. Interest in brands in this segment is driven by aesthetics and trust and is built with trials. Both these drivers can be solved through imaginative use of ecommerce.
The brand took a step by step approach to:
Identifying the perfect persona
So how did Maybelline achieve 5X Sales and 6X ROI? The/Flipkart Ads’ targeting strategy rests on a foundation of rich first degree shopper data accumulated over a decade. The steps taken to zero in on the perfect audience for Maybelline were:
- Increase its awareness scores of Maybelline on the Flipkart platform and build familiarity
- Give potential customers a richer experience online to achieve higher levels of consideration
- Showcase proof of concept to build trust in a high trial segment without actual physical trials
- Convert interested Browsers into Buyers
- Identifying users who have a high inclination towards purchases in the beauty segment.
- Creation of relevant brand personas based on these users.
- Shopper data based on actions taken on the platform were used to generate the following personas:
- The Experimenter: The confident shopper who is usually an early adopters of new looks, new categories and brands, frequently mixes & matches to re-create her favorites often. In need of inspiration of what else is possible. Responds often to celeb/influencer led messages
- The Settler: Has discovered a look she likes & displays high repeat-ability in her shopping across fashion, personal care & cosmetics. She is usually in need of quick and easy discovery of what she is looking for.
- The Discoverer: Heavy browsers who are still discovering the world of cosmetics and needs hand holding through the journey
- Mapping the recent activity of the users (browsing/ search/ purchase)
- Having observed that even the male members of the population have been known to show interest in female personal care products, those particular men were targeted with the ads.
Shopper journey understanding also revealed that customers indulged in light browsing through the week, and purchases typically happened over the weekend.
Creating a special property
We created and launched “Maybelline Day”, a dedicated day when Maybelline was showcased on all the premium Flipkart Ads properties for maximum visibility. An announcement widget was placed on the home page calling out Maybelline day. This widget was an always-on property with custom creatives that kept changing to keep the message varied and fresh for different audiences.
We also created a store-in-store for Maybelline designed to increase consideration among light browsers across the three personas. The store brought alive the brand proposition through Alia Bhatt as the leading influencer. This was followed by sections designed basis sub-category insights on makeup essentials, lipsticks, and face care. including relevant beauty tips, tricks and hacks & usage videos.
The Brand store lead to more than 3X Product Page Views than the brands without a store page.
The results of this data driven high immersion effort are noteworthy. The was a 20% growth in Awareness levels, 37% growth in Consideration and a 15.29% increase in Purchase. This was an overall shift in the baseline performance, not just the the shift during the campaign.
There were 16.7 million views leading to 135,309 clicks which translated into 37000 Add-to-carts. Over 4000 units a day, ie. 5 times the non-promotional days, were sold. There was a ~15% conversion of the audience from the Beauty Browser category to the Beauty Buyer category.
The overall success of the campaign in terms of its impact lead the brand to allocate dedicate one day a month as Maybelline day.
Google approached us with the intention of increasing PPVs prior to, and during the Big...
Skullcandy is a global brand, known widely for challenging the status quo and setting trends...
With the launch of the much-awaited Hero6 series, GoPro sought to increase brand awareness, create...
Eveready identified Flipkart’s ‘The Big Billion Days’ 2017 as a golden opportunity to strengthen their...
Being a top player in the Indian smartphone industry, Samsung Mobiles saw 2017’s sale season...