Introducing Flipkart Video!
15 November 2019
In 2018, paid video subscribers grew to around 12-15 million from around 7 million in 2017.
As India’s internet population gets used to consuming content on video, the growth of India’s OTT market continues to accelerate. As a result, this market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 21.82% to reach Rs 11,977 crore by 2023.
Tapping into this trend, Flipkart announced a new video-streaming platform for consumers. It challenges the long-held belief that consumers must pay for quality content.
Here’s a lowdown on Flipkart’s revolutionary foray into the OTT space with Flipkart Video:
What is Flipkart Video?
Flipkart Video is a mobile-first OTT platform, specifically catering to the Indian market.
With a great mix of original content and popular licensed-content, it sets out to on-board new customers who are not necessarily new to the internet but are new to e-commerce and to engage its existing user base further.
This is what Prakash Sikaria, – Head of Growth & Monetisation at Flipkart, had to say about the new platform:
“Our video content offering is focused on three primary aspects, keeping in mind our understanding of the market: free, curated and personalised. We believe that our customers shouldn’t pay extra for premium content and hence, our offering is different from anything else that is currently available.”
The company’s first original series launched in style with ‘Backbenchers’, a unique talk show hosted by noted Bollywood director Farah Khan.
In another consumer insight-driven move, Flipkart is tapping into the understanding that the average attention span of a consumer is shrinking. Therefore, there will also be a focus on short films, with Oscar-winning producer – Guneet Monga as an official creator and curator. She will be working on snackable content for the platform.
In the coming months, users can look forward to content in various genres. Just like its parent e-commerce platform, Flipkart Video will also have something for everyone.
How can Flipkart Video be accessed?
Flipkart Video is currently available on the latest version – version 6.17 – of the Flipkart app on Android smartphones. This eliminates the need for multiple apps and therefore, the resulting clutter.
To check out the new platform:
1. Open the app and tap on the video icon in the toolbar below
2. Select at least 3 videos of your choice
3. Tap on the “Continue” option to be directed to the main menu of Flipkart’s Video streaming service
How can brands leverage Flipkart Video?
At this point, Flipkart Video offers following ad inventories for brands:
- Pre-roll: 6-second ads designed to grab the attention of the audience before the show begins
- Mid-roll: An 8-60 seconds ad unit that will be played in between the show. Recommended length: 30 seconds
- Post-roll: An 8-60 seconds ad unit that will be played after the show. Recommended length: 30 seconds
All inventories have been developed to make sure that all interventions with the consumer are meaningful. Ads will be non-skippable and clickable to ensure engagement with the brand.
Each cue point will accommodate only 1 ad in order to avoid a clutter of ads.
Above and beyond the standardized advertising slots, brands can look forward to branded content integrations. Possibilities include:
- Product placements in Flipkart Video Originals
- Customised segments for brands and more!
As India heads towards becoming the largest video-viewing audience in the world, OTT platforms will gain more prominence in becoming a part of marketing solutions for brands across the spectrum. As an OTT platform resting on the largest Indian e-commerce portal, Flipkart Video allows a unique opportunity to merge consumer content and shopping seamlessly.
To know more, contact us at email@example.com.
- Pti. “Digital Media to Reach $5.1 Bn by 2021: Report.” The Economic Times, Economic Times, 22 July 2019
- Ians. “OTT Video Market Set to Grow at 22% CAGR: PwC.” The Economic Times, Economic Times, 6 June 2019, https://m.economictimes.com/magazines/panache/entertainment/ott-video-market-set-to-grow-at-22-cagr-pwc/articleshow/69679807.cms.
- Ganjoo, Shweta. “Flipkart Rolls out Video Service on Its Android App to Take on Amazon Prime.” India Today, 20 Aug. 2019, https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/flipkart-rolls-out-video-service-on-its-android-app-to-take-on-amazon-prime-1581724-2019-08-17.